Oops


I have to start with an apology for a prolonged absence. An awful lot has happened in the intervening months, and it is about time that I tried to bring things up to date.

Firstly North South Divine was wonderful to be a part of. Both the London and the Middlesborough exhibitions were a great success, and I got to meet some lovely people. The show was selected by Paul Hobson, director of the Contemporary Art Society, for his exhibition of the week. Regular readers may recall that my solo show Frightening Albert was also his exhibition of the week. Sadly I won't be able to secure a hat trick as he will soon start in his new role as director for Modern Art Oxford.

On the subject of Frightening Albert, I mentioned at the beginning of the year that a well-known critic and art writer had spent some time at my studio and that I would tell more later. My visitor was Paul Carey-Kent, and he has written an essay for the catalogue, which is now online here.

The Marmite Prize IV exhibition has just come to an end, finishing the tour at The Drawing Room in London. It was good to see all the work in the flesh, and it was great to catch up with so many friends in the pub afterwards. An interesting Twitter debate started, prompted by the exhibition at Plymouth. The gist was 'but is it a painting?' about my work 'Speciality Act' in the show. The short answer is yes, of course it is. But I love the debate....

I am very pleased to have had a work selected for the Jerwood Drawing Prize, opening in September at the Jerwood Gallery before going on tour later. I don't think the other venues and dates have been announced yet, but I'll post a link once I find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment