Thinking about paint....

This painting by Natalie Dowse has really captured my imagination, and I am genuinely excited by it. As with many of her works, I am immediately struck by a sense of the every-day which begins to be subverted the moment my eyes meet the surface of the paint. She deftly manipulates light and shadow - both literally and metaphorically - in a way which never leads to a full stop. These are elusive, alternative worlds, flitting between dream and hyperreality. They draw you in. The techniques here are different from earlier paintings, yet the enigma carries on with an entirely new dynamic. Just as compelling.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the link and your compliments. I'm chuffed - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great stuff - I'm looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete