Buzzards and blue rinses

I have this odd thing, not quite a ritual, but not sure what else to call it; always, when I arrive in France (or very soon after), I see buzzards flying around. I have come to take it as a personal welcome. I have been here a week but hadn't seen a single one - until this morning, when three appeared together. I was beginning to wonder.

Popped into Meymac this morning, to go to a vide-grenier, and on the way, driving through the forest, saw a pair of black woodpeckers. Coal black, startling yellow eyes and a vivid red flash on top of the head.

Walking past the Abbey, I was delighted to see that the exhibition at the CAC, which I understood had ended the day before I arrived, had been extended to today. Maybe the buzzards had been arranging the surprise for me.

I spent a good few hours there. There was some interesting work in Femme objet, Femme sujet, and I was pleased (and, I have to say surprised) that they seemingly hadn't pulled any punches to pander to anyone who might have found some of the content - how can I put it - too much for certain sensibilities. I can imagine the English blue-rinse brigade getting quite hot and bothered at a couple of the works.

Not all of the work did much for me - I have to say that some of it was strengthened to a greater or lesser degree by being in the context of the theme. I also have to remind myself that such a show, in such a place, isn't trying to be earth-shattering. It is, nevertheless, great to have it on my doorstep - and there are many important works dotted throughout.

 The Abbey which houses the Centre d'Art Contemporain. The gallery is in a wing to the left, over five floors. The oldest part of the abbey dates from the 11th century.



 Berlinde de Bruyckere
Oda Jaune
 Anastassia Bordeau
 Anastassia Bordeau
 Anastassia Bordeau

No comments:

Post a Comment