I was surprised by the number of people on the normally-deserted-beach this morning, presumably there to see the eclipse. They, like me, would have been disappointed. There was just too much sea-fog. The colour of the light seemed different, though, hinting at what was concealed.

I have been reflecting on another new work, but this time I think I am going to be frustrated. The problem is scale. The piece won't be enormous, but it will be too large to pass through an ordinary door. If I can't make it so that it can be dismantled (which is what I have planned for another large piece), I will have two choices as I see it: one is not to make the piece at all. The other is to make a smaller version, and hope that I can use it to persuade someone to provide suitable working space and storage for a full size version. I am confident that I would be able to find exhibition space once it is made (I have to be, don't I?). It is hard not to envy those artists who have huge workshops.

No comments:

Post a Comment