I received a nice message in response to a post a few days ago in which I mentioned meandering and evolution. To expand a little, I suppose what I was saying is that I wanted to lay out a path for a clear focus. This isn't to say that I don't allow myself freedom; on the contrary, a significant part of my practice is to do with making myself open to inspiration coming from unexpected sources, and to profit from that I need to act on it as soon as possible. In some instances I can make do with recording the idea in some way until later (my precious notebook), but often the feeling is strong enough to warrant dropping everything to concentrate on the new thought. This is in part what I was alluding to in my statement by giving myself "the room to experiment". The spontaneity is energising, and exciting. The danger could be in relying on that too much, and letting it turn into a scenario where one suddenly enters the studio, saying "What am I going to do today?". In terms of moving forward (which for me is important for personal satisfaction as well as professionally), it suits me to have a central route, even if it is only very lightly defined. The thing is, I keep seeing a symbiosis which I find so stimulating and productive - the relationship between this 'semi-course' and the unexpected.

No comments:

Post a Comment