I had a long, long walk in the rain early yesterday morning. The previous morning I had spotted a torn piece of corrugated cardboard, lying in the road. It had something printed on it which immediately captured my imagination, and during the course of the day I gradually formulated ideas of how I could develop this image. My problem was that I had left the scrap where it laid, but I had come to the conclusion that I had to have the original. So, even though it was absolutely pissing it down, I resolved to search for it again. I couldn't believe my luck when I found it close to where it had been the previous morning, floating in a puddle. I pounced on it, and thrust the soggy cardboard in my pocket. I think even my dog thought I was a little bit barking.

As soon as I got back to the studio I set the cardboard to dry. Imagine my surprise when I looked on the back this morning and saw some handwritten words, in pencil: it is mostly difficult to read, but the one clear word is 'paint'.

No comments:

Post a Comment